St. Michael’s RC Church
Sunday: 8:00 AM
Bequia’s earliest Catholic Community began in the late 18th Century. It was comprised mainly of French colonizers served by travelling missionaries from Grenada.
In 1909, Church Community leader Narcisse Claudius Ramirez, purchased two acres of land for nine shillings – a lot which lay just above his home. This property was left to the Roman Catholic Church at Narcisse’s death. The small wattle building was completely destroyed by a hurricane in 1921.
On 29th September, 1927 (Feast of St. Michael, the Archangel) the foundation stone of the present church was laid on the site of the original church.
The new church building was designed by and built under the supervision of Dom Carlos (Charles) Verbeke, a Belgian Benedictine Monk (He was also responsible for the construction of the Cathedral on Mainland St. Vincent).
The Church building was made larger in 1996 by Fr. Farfan.